I woke up and rolled quickly out of bed, then promptly fell over as my limbs made me aware of their displeasure at this action. Dragging myself into the shower, I started to wake up just as the second alarm I'd set for myself started beeping away back in the bedroom.

Shambling back to the lounge, I collected my riding kit and some food, and threw it all into a bag. I grabbed a banana for breakfast and jumped into the car to head off to Rohan's.

Arriving at Rohan's, we hooked up the trailer to my Commodore. Since Telstra pays for my fuel but we would have to pay for the fuel for his Chrysler, it seemed kinda logical Chris Drew, one of the neighbours, was coming as well and so we all jumped in and cruised off towards Broadford.

Rohan had gone to heaps of trouble to get his T-model RGV and his TZ250 track-worthy - even to the extent of replacing the standard fairings on the RGV with borrowed ones better suited to being thrown down the road, removing mirrors, changing the tank to an older, more battered one, taping lights and disconnecting the speedometer.

Small stuff-up. We didn't realise that we needed a different key for the new (old) tank on the RGV until we got about 40 minutes out of the city. Oops! Buggrit - can't put fuel into the bike! We turned around and headed back, picked up the keys and turned around. Never mind... not too much time lost

Arriving at Broadford, we took the bikes out of the trailer, went to registration and then geared up and jumped out onto the track. I was on the RGV and Rohan on the TZ.

It took me quite a while to get comfortable on the different bike and completely unfamiliar track - this was, after all, my first track day. At the end of the first session I still wasn't feeling at home.

For the second session, we started on the same bikes but swapped after a couple of laps. I jumped onto the TZ and off I went. It was... frightening. That's the only way I can describe the TZ. Before it properly hits its power band, it's already accelerating like an RGV does flat out. Then, when it does hit, it nearly tears your arms out of their sockets. Its handling in the corners was pin-sharp, but I consistently kept almost running off the inside (!!) because it turns so sharply. I gave it three laps of wobbling around the corners and then pulled into the pits, where we swapped back for the remainder of the session.

In the last session, I took the RGV out and started to feel a bit more comfortable. Rohan had been coaching me for the previous two sessions and it all started to come together. Not that I was a Casey Stoner copycat or anything - I was a good 10-15 seconds/lap slower than Rohan, or at least that's roughly what it looks like from his lap times when he was following me. I finally felt comfortable hanging off and leaning the bile all the way over - dragged a peg twice and a boot once

At the end of the day we were both completely buggered. The temperatures had been in the low 30s all day, which didn't help either All things considered, it was an awesome day. Screaming down the back straight at 190km/hour or so, opening the throttle wide open whilst fully leaned over on the corner after pit straight... very cool. I can't wait to do it again.